Sunday, July 25, 2010

L'Inspiration Francaise, Part IV - Museums & Exhibitions, continued


Rediscoveries can be just as great an adventure as experiencing something new.

Musee de l'Orangerie

Located in Le Jardin des Tuileries, L'Orangerie only recently reopened after many years of restoration. It is the home designed by Claude Monet for his iconic Les Nymphaes, or, as more commonly entitled in English, Waterlilies, painted in the gardens of his Giverny home. My memories from my last visit there (about 23 years ago) were of gloomy galeries in poor condition. That's not the case any longer!



The museum facility itself has been beautifully restored, but most of all, these magnificent works of art are displayed and lit to best advantage.


I was intrigued by the brush technique used by Monet to create the waterlily flowers.

I also like the bright bursts of color used to highlight flower detail, something to try in future designs.

After worshipping the Monets, I headed downstairs to the extensive underground galleries that house both temporary exhibition galleries and a permanent collection of featuring modern and impressionist works by Monet's contemporaries.
There was a terrific Kandinsky retrospective in the temporary space (alas, no photos were allowed). You definitely want to allocate sufficient time on this visit to explore the treasures in these galleries.




One artist I discovered here for the first time was Chaim Soutine., who called to mind Monet and Chagall.

This simple painting by Renoir of roses on a velvet chair made me want to rush out and buy an identical bouquet!


I loved the delicate interplay of whites and pinks, something I hope to use someday in a design.



And I'm always happy to find a new (to me) Matisse masterpiece.

to be continued...

Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment